Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Follow Me
I hope I don’t forget all this before I type it down - it just entered my head that if I do a bit of blogging every day, it could eventually become a “book” or some sort of opinionated family history based on just my view of things (may or may not be what really happened because much of it was so long ago and I was much younger then). I think the first time I decided I wanted to be a writer was when I was in third grade. Back then I imagined I would be a clever newspaper reporter, traveling around and writing about things that seemed interesting to me. Like? Governor Brown, Kruschev, Steve who was very cute and had freckles and ran very fast. My friend Barbara Brown. I often wondered if she were related to the governor. I was too shy to ask. My Grandmother Ada was a Christian Scientist and took me to Sunday School. The most impressive thing I learned was that “there is no sensation in matter”. I tried hard to say that when I scraped my knee, but it wasn’t an easy thing for me. My knee still hurt and needed a band-aid. My Mom would braid my hair. Two straight pigtails down my back and cut my bangs very short across my forehead. I had blond hair then and black, thick eyebrows shaped like upside down v’s. Sometimes she would give my sister and I Tonette permanents. They were smelly, but Mom said “it’s the price of beauty”. My Dad was in the navy for 6 years so we didn’t see him much. He was so handsome when he’d come home on leave dressed in his navy blues or dress whites. They were very young and both loved to sing and dance. I loved watching them together. My Dad was artistic everyone said. He could draw anything. He loved poetry. He loved making things from wood. He really loved to go fishing. We had to be careful where we sat because we might end up with a hook. Ouch! Mom was extraordinarily beautiful. We didn’t know she was so young then because everyone seemed old to us. She told us that when she went to register me for kindergarten the school thought she was there to attend for herself. She completed through 10th grade but finally earned a high school equivalency when she was an adult. Dad, too. They always talked about the importance of education and I followed their advice. But I know they were well educated by life experience and hard work and that those are the most valuable lessons. This is very rambly, but I least I’m getting some things down and will be able to revisit and make changes; or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment